January 29, 2013 by mtlfoodieism
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?
Superbowl Sunday is on February 3, 2013 featuring the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens. Who do you want to win it all?
Superbowl Sunday is one of the highest viewed television programs of the year. With the exception of those who prefer to watch the game in a bar, many Americans – and some Canadians, throw Superbowl parties to catch the action, commercials and possible blunders (anyone remember Janet Jackson and her “wardrobe malfunction”?).
While there tends to be focus on the traditional garb of hot wings, pizza, chips, dips and ribs, we felt that it would be appropriate to talk about the desserts! This is a great opportunity to get creative with your cookies, cakes and cupcakes.
Here are some of the best the web has to offer, maybe it will inspire your preparation for this Sunday’s game.
1. Football Field Cupcakes – These cupcakes can be made with any cake you like! Use green frosting to create “grass” and add chocolates in the shapes of footballs on top. Use white icing to decorate chocolates into little footballs. You can use fondant to create the field goal or other props!
2. Football Shapes Cake Pops – if you want to recap how to make Cake Pops, check out our past article! Just dip cake pops (any cake flavor you like of course) into chocolate and use white icing to make the football threads. These bite sized desserts will sure score a touchdown with your family and friends!
3. Prefer cookies over cake? Football shaped sandwich cookies will win over your guests!
4. Sugar Cookies are an extremely versatile dessert because you can make them into any shape you desire! Why not make footballs? Or cheerleading pom poms? Or Jerseys of your favorite team? There are so many things you can do with a simple sugar cookie recipe and icing. Again, be creative!
5. Hamburger Shaped Cakes! This is a new trend, turning foods we already love into “dessert” versions. These are hamburger cupcakes served over a football field tray. Super creative!
6. Chicken Wing Cupcake – ABC News considers this dessert to be the “Latest Super Bowl Gluttony”. Read more about it here. Many of you may not desire this latest food craze because the ingredients are just too weird: “The cupcake itself is made of cornbread then topped with blue cheese frosting and accented by an actual chicken wing on top.” If this is something that interests you, then give it a try (and let us know what you think!).
We hope you score a touchdown with your guests this Superbowl Sunday! Who will you cheer for?
- Hugs ‘N Sweets
Jill Chandler, Team Gâteaux Maliniak